Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Ouija board


Image courtesy: Tumblr

The time was past midnight when we decided to play with the Ouija board that has been lying in the attic for a long time. The Board must been there for more than a decade at least, perhaps even longer. But as kids we were not granted permission to enter the attic and linger around the antiques there. 

The house was old and we looked forward to those vacations where we could curl up in the room on the first floor that opened out into the fields outside. The best room in the gigantic house. The room that we now call ours.

Riya and I loved playing house in that room. Even though we visited our grandparents' only during the summer vacations, it always felt like home. Where we could tinker about and discover new things each day. And that was how we chanced upon this Ouija Board that was now lying in front of us. 

It was covered in cobwebs and layers of dust had gathered on its wooden surface. Which made it look all the more appealing to me. The moment I touched it, I knew. It was as though it had a lot to tell. Like a veena that was forced to stop its music before it was complete. 

Being the elder one, Riya was supposed to be my responsibility. But the two year age gap between us made us more friends than sisters. In fact, she was the one who always had my back. When she looked skeptical about playing the whole thing, I reassured her. 

Just this once. No one will know. 

After all, our grandparents would hardly notice it was missing for one night. Who even knew that it was lying there in the attic, unused? Besides, we can always keep it back the next morning and its absence will not even be felt. 

I locked our door and opened the windows to our room. The fields were bathed in an eerily silver glow under the moonlight. It didn't feel like night time. The breeze wafted in, carrying the stillness of the night with it.

I lit the candles and placed it at the head of the board as I had seen them do it in movies. Riya still looked apprehensive. She was the one who didn't believe in all this mumble jumble, in her words. 

Let's play. I smiled at her. 

We placed our fingers on the small wooden planchette. Hers a tad hesitant. 

Do you know how this thing works? I asked her. 

She didn't say a word, merely nodded her head. Perhaps she's scared to death. But still, some irrational part of me wanted to go ahead with it. I had to know. For myself. 

Good spirit, please come... Good spirit, please come... I whispered in the dark. 

My sister was the mute spectator in all this. She watched me. Her eyes not leaving, not wavering. Her ice cold fingers trembling slightly, brushing against mine. I kept chanting with an ardent fervor. Still nothing. It seemed like hours, maybe it was just few minutes.

I started to grow exasperated. The October wind blowing through the windows brought in the fragrance of the blooming flowers of the Pala tree growing in our yard. I loved this smell, which seemed to gain intensity at night. 

And that was when I noticed the look she had in her eyes. 

Demonic. Evil. Possessed. 

Her fingers started to fidget and the planchette started to dart uncontrollably across the board. A laughter, unlike any I had heard before pierced the silence of the night. 

The candles flickered uncertainly. And then, died out. 


Read the next part here.

This post is written for Day 9 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge for July 2014 and NaBloPoMo


48 comments:

  1. That ws spooky!!!!
    The ending where d light dies out reminds me of my post purple:)
    Fab job done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... that was scary! Nice narration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Reema :)

      Delete
    2. An award awaits you on my blog Aathira :) http://reemadsouza.blogspot.in/2014/07/quintet-of-radiance-award.html

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Reema :) Honored to get the second one this week! My post shall be up soon :)

      Delete
  3. Whoa! That was something.. will this be continued to know to know if she really was possessed? what happened next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Seeta! I have really not thought about that one. It was meant to be a stand alone post. But of course, it would be nice to do a small sequel to this one :) Let's see...

      Delete
  4. OH NO... never try to invovlve into something that one does not know enough of .. such things do exist ..
    spooky story though i wonder what happened next

    Bikram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bikram. There are certain things which one should not meddle with. Unfortunately, I have never been one to follow rules ;) I have left it to the reader's imagination as to what happens next :) Hopefully, I shall dwell a bit more and come up with a continuation!

      Delete
    2. Ok waiting for that continuation then :)

      Bikram's

      Delete
    3. Yes, I shall post the next part soon :) Let me run wild with my imagination here for a bit!

      Delete
  5. Oh man! You know what the pala tree does na? :( Spooky story this was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pala trees are always related to the other side of life, right? Some of the movies have portrayed it so beautifully. Thank you, Bhavya :)

      Delete
  6. OMG!!!! This was brilliant!! You are on a roll, woman! :)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, this was real spooky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh that was super spooky! But what a splendid narration! It had a distinct regional flavor to it...that one cannot miss. Loved this.
    By the way, I've always been fascinated with the Planchette but never got a chance to try it...I'm not sure I'll try it after reading this ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Vinodini :) I have been fascinated with the Ouija Board for a long long time. But never even seen a real one :(

      Delete
  9. Beautifully narrated Aathira :) The candles die out. What else could you wish for at that moment? :D Scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That was the reaction I was hoping for :)

      Delete
  10. spookyyy! I tried it with my friends on a vacation in Goa and I tell you, it was very scary! I do not know if spirits came or not but the session gave us jitters!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ankita! Yeah, it looks real scary. At least in the movies and stories! Would love to hear what actually happens. If anyone does try it out and makes it alive, that is ;)

      Delete
  11. Bewitching, Aathira :)
    Lives up to your Blog's Name :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Anita! Thank you :)

      Delete
  12. A spooky thing to read early morning..DAMN! This I liked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Red! Glad I could make your morning :)

      Delete
  13. Oooo....this gave me the chills. When we were young me n my elder cousin brothers tried the exact same thing at our grandmother's place. But we were caught before things turned spooky. But my mom has tried this and definitely has stories to tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aditi! I don't have any first hand experience playing this. I would love to hear your Mom's stories though :) And welcome to my blog :)

      Delete
  14. Ooo....gave me the chills! More so because me n my elder cousin tried the exact same thing as kids at my granny's place. Got caught before any spookiness could strike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouija is always so tempting, right?

      Delete
  15. Scarrry! Very well written...and you have hardened my resolution not to use an Ouija board ever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) Heard that the Ouija can be messy if not dealt with properly!

      Delete
  16. I am a scaredy cat..Will have a sleepless night tonight...;)
    Awesome read Athira..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Preethi :) But I hope the nightmares stay in check ;)

      Delete
  17. I'm hoping for a sequel! I just felt it was an abrupt end. Write one, please?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it? Didn't know if anyone would like it that much. But your comment makes me want to write one! Maybe soon :) Thanks so much, Love :)

      Delete
    2. I loved it. Just wanted a bit more. :)

      Delete
    3. I shall. Soon :) Just hope it doesn't disappoint you!

      Delete
  18. Its good,moodayi vannappo nirthi kalanju.why cant you add a bit more .pedikan thayarai vannapol nirthi.hey u kno wat i too was thinkimg to write a yekshikadha,then i found this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Da :) Since a few others have asked me the same thing, I have decided to do a sequel. Watch this space for more! Ninte yakshikadha poratee... :)

      Delete
  19. Aha, you are into the spooky genre too :) Interestingly built, running over to the next part :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keirthana! Glad you could read it at one go :)

      Delete

Your feedback is always appreciated! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...