Sunday, August 3, 2014

Of City lights and Rains

Image courtesy: Google

I forced myself not to think about the text message that I had sent few minutes back. It took all of my self restraint and control to not grab my phone and check for a reply from her. It had hurt so badly. So much that I had put off sending the dreaded message for days now. A part of me was selfish, I wanted her all for myself. Without the blemish of her knowing what had been going on in my mind all along. While the other part wanted her happiness.

Our relationship was doomed from the beginning. There was no way my family would accept her into their conservative lives. Not that I cared. But it was her who was concerned about the role of fitting in, no matter where she lived. But she held on to it like a ray of hope. A sliver of faith that our story would have a happy ending. 

She didn't want to hurt anyone, especially not both our parents. Even if that meant sacrificing our happiness. I knew she would be heart broken if she came to know the truth. That her brother had called me and said that she she would be disowned if I ever made the mistake of taking our relationship any further. I couldn't bear to live with the guilt. Or her unhappiness, which would be inevitable, later on in life. 

But life had left me no choice. I had to break it off with her. I couldn't turn her against her own blood. I messaged her saying that it was over. That what we had while it lasted had been good. But we had no future. That she shouldn't try to call or try to meet me again. 

As I twirled around the empty ice cubes in my glass, I was woken out of my reverie by the calling bell. There she stood, drenched in the rain. It was past evening. She was panting, the raindrops clung to her face and eyelashes like morning dew. She still looked the same as I had first seen her in the bus stand. The same secrecy in her eyes. Behind her, the city lights twinkled. 

As she stepped inside my door, leaving a small pool of water at my doorstop, I knew there was no going back. We made love with an urgency, she clung on to me like she would never let go, as we barely made it to the bedroom. I knew, right then, that we had made a decision. There was no going back now. This was the girl that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. And it rained that night, the entire time, the sole witness to our love.

The next day, she became my wife.  

This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.

18 comments:

  1. Awesome take :) Oh my, I was expecting a happy ending all along :D and phew! It rained :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shanx :) I have been hearing that only very few of my stories have happy endings! I'm so glad that you liked it :)

      Delete
  2. engaging story you can't blink till the end,fantastic writing

    My WOW post : Auspicious Rain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh the chemistry that makes it all happen..The deep connection. I so know this!
    Loved reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to have experienced it, then :) Thank you, Red!

      Delete
  4. Interesting one :) Thank you for ending it well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keirthana :) I guess I need to end things on a happy note more often!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant brilliant! I'm speechless and so proud of you for writing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Darling :) For being there. Always.

      Delete
  6. I was praying that there should be a union at the end...which you made possible ;) Lovely, Aathira :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton. Sreeja :) I see that you are back with full on energy! Missed your posts.

      Note to self- Write more stories with happy endings!

      Delete
  7. Happy endings make me happy. I'm so glad it worked out!
    And I'm so happy to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Love :) I shall try and do more of happy endings :)

      Delete
  8. Good one, Aathira!
    Great that she came as a reply to his SMS...
    All is well that ends well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A brilliant story, Aathira. I am glad they took the plunge and choose happiness. Love the happy ending:)

    http://vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com/2014/08/03/wow-and-it-rained-that-night/

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is always appreciated! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...